Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Unknown 600th, the Bell Tolls in Cleveland, and the Endangered Penguins

Hello reader,

This is my first blog post ever. I was inspired to do this blog by Jim Rome's show Rome is burning. I admire his ability to speak his mind good or bad and the way that he tells it like it is. I am a college student and an athlete. I love sports and they have always been a part of my life. I especially enjoy talking about my view on them. This blog will have tons of different topics, and new ones as they come up. Feel free to give input about the blog and your views. I have a treat for you guys today, since it is my first entry I'll be covering three topics today. Enjoy.


I was watching Mike and Mike in the Morning today on ESPN. One of the topics covered completely blew my mind and left me completely baffled. I'm not a sports guru i cannot tell you every stat for every player in every sport, but this story caught my attention fast. Ken Griffey Jr. is one home run away from having 600 career home runs. A fellow teammate, Adam Dunn, made a statement in an interview saying that Ken should get a lot more attention than he is getting and I agree. This stat is completely mind blowing, but when, not if, he gets this milestone he will be only the 6th player to accomplish this amazing feat. We may not see another player reach this milestone in our lifetime, especially as we enter the post steroid era, or so we hope. Yet this story is not on top of our newspapers, it is not being talked about in every single sports TV program, but Ozzie Guillen's latest rant is all over ESPN and is praised. Why is this? Is it because athletes acting up or the latest rumors on their love lives is more important? No, I do not believe that is the reason. The reason he isn't getting as much credit for this amazing feat is because he is a great player on not so great of a team. He would be getting all the credit in the world if his team was in first. He would be on every sports station on radio and television non stop, but he isn't. Show Mr. Griffey a little more credit. Everyone should know about this awesome feat. I grew up watching this remarkable athlete and I would like to say congratulations Ken I'm paying attention maybe after you do get number 600 the rest of the world will give credit where credit is due.

Going into this year's NFL draft I was not excited at all. As a Browns fan all I had to look forward to was a 3rd round pick. When Beau Bell's name was announced I flipped off the television. A linebacker? Are you kidding me? We need corners and you draft a linebacker? But as I read on about Beau I began to get excited. Some experts labeled this guy as one of the hardest hitters in the draft. As I continued to read I found out why he was 3rd round pick. He has a learning disability. Too many teams thought it was too big of a risk. But as former teammate from UNLV Eric Wright, who is also with the Browns, began to relax my worries when he said it really didn't affect him when it came to know his plays. Quote me on this statement, take a picture whatever, I don't care, but Beau Bell will be a play maker, if not this year then years to come. He will work wonders for this Browns defense. Which shouldn't be a problem because he is looking at a good amount of playing time since Andre Davis's production falls after every season.

I have never been a hockey fan, at one time I even hated it. This was out of pure ignorance, I had never watched a game. I figured it would be boring watching a puck slide back and forth down a rink and occasionally into a goal. Until I forced myself to sit down and watch game one of the Stanely Cup Finals, after PTI made a huge deal out of it and I actually really enjoyed it. It is hard hitting and very suspenseful. I have made an effort to watch every game. I'll definitely be watching a lot more next season. It appears after last nights game the young guns of Pittsburgh just refuse to give up to the more experienced juggernaut Detroit Red Wings. What a stunning finish to game 5. Marc-Andre Fleury, Pittsburgh's goalie, had 55 saves in that game. Wow only 3 goals on 58 attempts that's very impressive, maybe it is impressive enough to put a spark into this young team and motivate them to make this a great series.

1 comment:

raebone said...

i think adding beau is a great thing because the browns isn't doing anything now. And hopefully getting a young fresh player will help the browns do something for cleveland! i think its great how you are covering a lot of sports! [even hockey] personally i would like to hear your point of view on college sports and teams girls too. i think girls are getting less attention than what they should get. they hit just as hard as guys and play just as hard as guys.
well i loved it! and i will let my friends know about it!